Monday, January 14, 2008

Stepping out of your Box

Get Creative –

Assume square chickens make square eggs

As told by a Couple of Clucks…

William and Gayle


A few years ago, I had a kitchen device for shaping boiled eggs into a square. It was a great conversation piece at buffet dinners. Some guests considered me naïve so I played along. I simply said I assumed square chickens produced square eggs.

Unfortunately, this statement did not always go over. Many of my friends and neighbours were traditionalists, did not see this as fun 'toy' and rejected this as silly.

In response to this, I promptly decided to create a paper maché "square" chicken. At the next social event, I placed it on the buffet table, surrounding it with my square eggs. It was there for everyone to see, and enjoy.

The comments were quite revealing and a LOT of fun. They ranged from people laughing at themselves, getting a new outlook on life or disgust that I wasn’t acting my age. I still giggle as I think about it. They say that laughter is the best medicine. Well, this square chicken certainly has kept me healthy!

The point I am making with this story is that we get so wrapped up in the accepted norms and routines of society that we forget to question our routines and play. There is nothing wrong with assuming square chickens.

Some of society's rules are safety rules but others are simply to keep another from being inconvenienced. I recommend each reader taking the time each day to find something that can be changed, share a giggle or plan one for the future. The focus of our articles is health and this is one way that we can stay healthy.

Have great big cluck, and remember even the best comedians lay an egg once in a while.

Enjoy life

No comments: